Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekly Tips/Recipe

I'd like to share some of my ideas about how to bring fitness and nutrition together. I was sharing with someone IRL the other day and she sincerely thanked me. She said not many are willing to share their secrets! I think that's crazy. I want everyone to be as healthy and happy as they can be.

Some things I've read, some ideas others have shared with me, and still others have come to me through experience. I do realize we are all different and your mileage may vary. I hope to periodically share with you some things I've learned and have worked for me along the way!

My first suggestion would be to start eating clean, home cooked food at home! Second best would be to pack a cooler with the least processed food you can muster. I know! I can feel you rolling your eyes right now. I can hear you thinking that it will take too much time and be complicated. But this has really been so instrumental in pulling it all together for me. I could honestly begin to see a difference in my body composition when I nixed eating out. Even things that appear healthy have so many unknown things done to/in them that make them not to your benefit. It's really not difficult to do. It is truly a habit just like anything else. By packing/eating at home you know exactly what's in it and the portion is controlled. Save eating out for special occasions. After awhile you may even find that you don't care for restaurant food anymore. Always keep in mind that restaurants are a business. They want your money! They don't really care what is best for YOU.

As for clean foods organic may the best but not absolutely necessary. That's my opinion anyway! Remember we want to keep our food choices simple and affordable and promote a healthy body composition. We want to attempt to instill habits that we will actually do!

Always balance a healthy carb with a healthy protein. I know protein is a hot button for some. I do know people that can eat a lot of carbs and do just fine. But I'm not talking about those people. And I'm not talking low carb either. I'm more about eating the amount of carbs I need for the next day's activity. It doesn't have to be a lot of protein/meal but at least some. Aim for at least 10-15 grams/meal. I personally go for 1 gram each per pound of body weight per day. I like my fat% to be between 20-30% of my total calories. It doesn't exactly always end up that way but it's generally close. I'm not rigid or anal about it and I don't want you to be either. I admit that is a lot of protein for some people's tastes. But I've gotten to this point through more baby steps than I can count over many years of trial and error. I takes time to build new habits. Maybe just pick one or two things at a time to change if that feels less overwhelming.

Simple and Easy Stove Top Granola

This is a family favorite in our home. We don't buy boxed cereals and use it as a cereal, snack, topping, etc. Remember to balance it with a protein like egg whites, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.

3 c rolled or old fashioned oats
1/2 c chopped nuts (we like almonds)
1/2 c coconut
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c oil
1/3 c honey
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c dried fruit (we like raisins)

Mix oats, cinnamon, coconut, in a cold skillet or dutch oven. Blend oil, honey, and vanilla in separate bowl. Pour wet blend over dry ingredients and mix together. Toast the granola over medium heat until it looks right. Stir it frequently to prevent burning. Turn off and add fruit. Let it cool, stirring it occasionally. I double this recipe for my family and it lasts about a week.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. yep! I am making this tonight. Buying it in the store is so expensive and often contains a lot of extra chemicals for preservatives. When I find one that doesn't it is usually so expensive. I agree with you about the eating out. We got tired of spending a lot of money for unsatisfying foods. Now going out to eat is only for very special occasions. I like knowing where my ingredients come from and how it is prepared - none of which I know sitting at a table in a restaurant. Now can you tell me how to kill ants in my house without ant poison? :-)

    ReplyDelete