Thursday, June 10, 2010

Nine Miles Wasn't So Bad This Time

It's been 2 days since I ran my first 9 miler this year. I look back on last year and say to myself,"What were you thinking?" I was still struggling with 6 or 7 miles. I was a new runner. What made me think I could just keep following the training schedule and not get hurt?I'll tell you what! It was EGO. Well sure enough a few weeks later, I ran 10 and that was all she wrote. Calf tear! How could my body do this. I had scheduled and paid for a half marathon to take place in 2 weeks! Silly body! Well, I didn't make it. But now I'm at it again! lol

What it all boiled down to last year was my ego not allowing me to say this is too much for me right now. And if I'm not very observant of that ego, I'll let it get me again. I want to say I ran 9 , 10, 11, 12, 13 miles! EGO. While 9 miles wasn't too bad this time around, it was a challenge. I'm a little fearful of getting hurt again. Up until last year, I had never run more than 6 miles . And it had been a very long time since I'd done that. I usually do my best to push through fear. But in this case maybe it's a healthy fear. I know in my right mind, I need to stick with 9 miles for at least another week or two. But can you believe I was just thinking this morning of moving on to 10 next week! Hey! Let's do it today! Wouldn't that be great!!!

I have plenty of time to be ready. The first possible half I have in mind is scheduled for late August. Most training plans end at 10 miles figuring that you can really run 20% or more than you think you can. Add adrenaline and a crowd and the sky is the limit! I should have plenty of time to train well past 10 if not the full 13 by race time even if I progress conservatively. I must keep this in mind! I cannot let my ego get the better of me this time. : )

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you had a good 9 mile run. It's hard to reconcile the body and the mind. It sounds like you are so on top of this. I looked up that Little Miami half marathon and it sounds like a very pretty route.

    ReplyDelete